The K-1 visa for fiancés

The fiancé visa, also known as the K-1 visa for fiancés, is a type of visa that allows foreign citizens engaged to American citizens to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. This visa is an important step in the immigration process for those who wish to marry an American citizen and establish their life together in the United States.

The K-1 visa is issued by the United States Department of State and requires a series of requirements and documents for its application. Among the most important requirements are:


  1. Being a U.S. citizen: The main applicant must be a citizen of the United States and provide proof of their citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate.

  2. Being engaged: The main applicant and their fiancé(e) must demonstrate that they have a committed relationship and intend to marry within 90 days of the applicant’s entry into the United States.

  3. Meeting eligibility requirements: Both applicants must meet the eligibility requirements set by the Department of State, such as being over 18 years old and legally capable of getting married.

Once the K-1 visa application is approved, the main applicant can enter the United States and has a 90-day period to marry their fiancé(e). After the marriage, the applicant can apply for adjustment of status to obtain a permanent residence card.

It is important to note that the K-1 visa application process can be complex and requires careful planning and preparation. It is recommended to seek specialized legal advice to ensure compliance with all requirements and maximize the chances of success in obtaining the visa.